Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool's Blogging: The USG's Idea of a Joke?

Pulled this little gem off Ready.gov, Uncle Sam's Emergency Preparedness Website.*

Yeah, I'm going to stand around "considering" whether I can get out of the area if I'm caught in a nuclear blast. Then, I'll probably walk calmly into a building.

Who sits around creating these graphics? For a hearty laugh, check out the funny take-offs on the USG's "emergency-preparedness" signs and captions, here.

*The website covers 'threats' like nuclear blast, radiation, pandemics and tsunamis, but not accidental falls of out bed, which result in 1.8 million emergency room visits, 400,000 hospital admissions and 600-ish deaths yearly, according to the CDC.

P.S. Kids can access information about natural disasters on http://www.ready.gov/kids/step3/index.html, but if they click on terrorism the government directs them to "Talk to your parents or teachers about this kind of emergency." Terrorism, sex, same difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the "Main St." label. I wonder what the scale on the diagram is supposed to be. Does "you are here" translate to "you are toast"? Classic.

 
"; urchinTracker();